The rally started outside Shaw University, the very location where the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee was founded decades ago. People were coming on the stage to pump everyone up, reminding us that we were here to move forward together, and not take one step back. I saw people of all ages, all races, all genders, standing side by side, fighting together for change; fighting together for justice and peace in our world. There was so much energy in the crowd - an energy fueled by a passion for justice, unlike any passion I'd ever seen. A spoken word artist came on stage and began talking about the Greensboro four - four black college students who wanted nothing more than to be accepted by society and to be treated like humans. The way the artist told their story was so moving, connecting many different issues besides racism. I began to look around the crowd that had gathered in preparation for the march to the state legislature on Jones St. They were begging for change, with signs that said: "End racism now." "Affordable health care now." "End AIDS." "Every child deserves a quality education." and many many others. I saw all the people. I saw all the signs. I felt like a part of a movement for the first time in my life. All these people were there for a common purpose - to see to it that justice is created in our world.
Rev. Barber, the president of the NC NAACP, began to speak once we got to Jones Street. I believe that each time I see him preach or speak, I am listening to a prophet. He is charismatic, and the passion and energy he exudes is unlike anyone I've ever heard speak. He captivates an audience with this charisma. He speaks out not only against racial injustice, but against all injustice. He connects faith so magically to the fight for social justice. He is truly a prophet of our time and I feel called to join the movement each time I hear him speak. Rev. Barber has the ability to connect with anyone - young or old, black or white, gay or straight. He speaks truth. He knows the reality and is not scared to stand up for what he believes is right: that which God created our world to be like, a world in which there is peace and justice for all people. And he brings people together, reminding us that we cannot do it alone, reminding us that it is about more than the moment - it is about the movement.
Next on stage was a high school aged young man, who I remember from September when he spoke at a prayer service for the Wake County School System. He had been arrested at a school board meeting while advocating for integrated, diverse schools for all. I have never been so entranced by a young person speaking; I was drawn into his every word. He took Rev. Barber's energy and charisma and carried it through his own speech. He apoke about the importance of diverse schools. Not only does it help distribute resources equally so that all children can receive the same quality educating, but being around students from different backgrounds and different experiences teaches a person perspective; it allows one to think for himself/herself; it encourages understanding; and it allows a young person to look outside themselves and see the complex web of human life and human relationships. As I listend to the young man speak, I thought of my own experiences in the East Hartford Public School System. I had many positive experiences growing up with students so different than myself, and looking back now, I realize that if I hadn't grown up in East Hartford and in it's public schools, I may not be where I am today - fighting for justice. I may not have been exposed to racism or poverty in my everyday. Listening to that young man fired me up and made me remember part of the anger the fueled my valedictory speech at graduation from high school. Injustice is not the answer to the problems of the world, yet so many school boards and local governments keep pushing injustice on its people.
I stood atop a wall as I watched and listened. Next to me was an older couple, who would later introduce themselves as the Irvings, long-time residents of Raleigh. Every once in a while, the wife would rub my back in an endearing way, but also in a motivating way, as though to say, "You can do it. You need to do it - for us. For all." I felt such an incredible connection to those strangers standing next to me, encouraging me. We stood together, sometimes arm-in-arm, listening to all of the incredible speakers who wanted to empower everyone in the crowd to keep fighting. Like the undocumented young lady who pays her taxes, and is tired of being reffered to as an "illegal alien". And then there was Darryl Hunt, exhonorrated after serving 19 years in prison for a crime he didn't commit. And then there was the CEO of the NAACP that reminded us that we are still fighting Jim Crow, though in a different way. He reminded us of the school system in Halifax County, NC where there are 8,000 children and three separate school districts - one that is 95% black; one that is 97% black; and one that's boundaries are juxtaposed down the middle, incorporating certain neighborhoods, and is 75% white. Injustice exists all around us.
Mrs. Irving linked armes with me and rubbed my back every once in a while. In a world of hatred, injustice, and oppression, I felt true love from a complete stranger. And then Rev. Barber told us to look at the person next to us and tell them: "You are my neighbor, and I love you. And I will fight for your family because your family is my family." I had tears in my eyes as I told Mrs. Irving this very thing. We really are one human family. We must fight together, hand-in-hand. We must fight for each other. We must fight for justice. We must fight for peace. HKonJ is the most powerful event I have ever attended. I feel inspired, empowered, educated, and ready to confront this fight head on - for the rest of my life because "We can't go back. We won't go back. No justice....no peace."
Forward Together. NOT ONE STEP BACK.
No comments:
Post a Comment